I wonder how many people understand Kundalini. I know that I heard it mentioned through all my years of spiritual searching. I do have many people who have had the awakening of kundalini with no training who contact me. They have many different symptoms and kundalini that goes well is supposed to be a joyful and happy moment.
Another Quote from Wikipedia-
A spontaneous awakening in one who is unprepared or without the assistance of a good teacher can result in an experience which has been termed as "Kundalini crisis", "spiritual emergency" or "Kundalini syndrome". The symptoms are said to resemble those of Kundalini awakening but are experienced as unpleasant, overwhelming or out of control. Unpleasant side effects are said to occur when the practitioner has not approached Kundalini with due respect and in a narrow egotistical manner. Kundalini has been described as a highly creative intelligence which dwarfs our own. Kundalini awakening therefore requires surrender; it is not an energy which can be manipulated by the ego.
Physical and psychological effectsPhysical effects are believed to be a sign of Kundalini awakening by some, but described as unwanted side effects pointing to a problem rather than progress by others. The following are either common signs of an awakened Kundalini or symptoms of a problem associated with an awakening Kundalini (commonly referred to as Kundalini syndrome):
- Involuntary jerks, tremors, shaking, itching, tingling, and crawling sensations, especially in the arms and legs
- Energy rushes or feelings of electricity circulating the body
- Intense heat (sweating) or cold, especially as energy is experienced passing through the chakras
- Spontaneous pranayama, asanas, mudras and bandhas
- Visions or sounds at times associated with a particular chakra
- Diminished or conversely extreme sexual desire sometimes leading to a state of constant or whole-body orgasm
- Emotional upheavals or surfacing of unwanted and repressed feelings or thoughts with certain repressed emotions becoming dominant in the conscious mind for short or long periods of time.
- Headache, migraine, or pressure inside the skull
- Increased blood pressure and irregular heartbeat
- Emotional numbness
- Antisocial tendencies
- Mood swings with periods of depression or mania
- Pains in different areas of the body, especially back and neck
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and touch
- Trance-like and altered states of consciousness
- Disrupted sleep pattern (periods of insomnia or oversleeping)
- Loss of appetite or overeating
- Bliss, feelings of infinite love and universal connectivity, transcendent awareness
I have had clients who started to have spiritual problems from awakening Kundalini. None of them know what to look for and none of them realized that it happened to them. I do not have the standard awakening through the element of fire. Every Kundalini rising I have had occurred through the element of water. The element of fire is what involves the sexual desires, headaches, and a great many of these symptoms. I have only found a few mentions of Kundalini rising through the different elements or all at once. All the elements at once even with one dominant element does not cause the syndrome.
Spontaneous kundalini through years of practice in a passive way is the safest method to use in my opinion as to many people try to force the energies to happen and it causes the above problems. I thought many people could use this understanding that have not had anyone explain this to them. Wikipedia can be a real blessing but most people do not know the questions to ask to find the answers. They just know they do not feel well and something drastic happened to them.
Another quote from Wikipedia-
According to the psychiatrist Carl Jung, "...the concept of Kundalini has for us only one use, that is, to describe our own experiences with the unconscious..."